Science teaching is hard, but it’s wonderful! I have tried to provide solutions to some common problems science teachers face when they are starting out but let’s face it – we all struggle with these issues sometimes. Search for your symptom below for possible next steps to try in the classroom. If you are having specific problems that you want answered – please post your question on the science teacher’s forum and I will try and help.
Difficulties with practical work
- Students don’t know why we are doing the practical but I’ve explained it so many times!
- Why do students mess around when they are doing practical work?
- How should I manage behaviour during practical work?
- Students mess around when they finish the practical work
- Students don’t know how to collect their equipment
- What do I do if a practical lesson is a disaster?
Difficulties with science demonstrations
- Students are messing around during the demonstration.
- Students can’t see during the science demonstration
Difficulties in the science lesson
- The pace of my lesson is just so slow!
- Students won’t work independently
- Students are bored and I don’t know why
- The subject is just too hard for my students
- So much knoweldge to cram into every lesson
Difficulties with science homework
- What homework should I set?
- Students are not completing their homework – why not?!